For 30 years, Harriet Russell has been doing one thing — Keeping people from offending each other when doing business internationally. From managing Public Relations at Sony in the Big Apple to translating for Peter Jennings and the ABC News staff at the Tokyo Economic Summit to jetting off to Minsk for the U.S. State Department to educate and motivate entrepreneurs, Harriet understands when “Yes” really means “No,” and makes sure you do, too.
Harriet lived and worked overseas for eight years and is fluent in several languages. She is a published author by Encyclopedia Britannica, and has taught intercultural communications at universities here and abroad. Harriet has been commended by the Fulbright Commission and given an award by Rotary International for creating friendly relations among peoples of the world — and not just because she knows to kiss twice in Spain and three times in Italy.
Harriet has been interviewed by NBC, ABC, CBS, Crain’s Business, Asahi Shimbun Daily, and more.
Harriet Russell’s Bio
- Harriet was the sole ABC News consultant and interpreter to Peter Jennings at the Tokyo Economic Summit
- Harriet was awarded a U.S. Speaker Grant from the U.S. State Department to speak, coach, and teach in Minsk, Belarus
- International consultant and technical translator for the Spanish National Railway (RENFE) and Mitsubishi Corp.
- First foreigner to receive a Masters in Linguistics from the Japanese campus of Sophia University becoming a TV and news phenomena…all by the time she was 30!
- Worked in banking on Wall Street, New York as an international corporate loan officer
- Member of the National Speakers Association, part of the Global Speakers Federation
- Member of the International Coach Federation – Chapter Board Member
Cross Cultural Education & Experience
- Have been learning, consulting and coaching in this specialty for over 30 years.
- Lived abroad for 8 years in total immersion (Spain, Japan, and Kyrgyzstan) and well-travelled globally.
- Bachelors of Science in Sociology, Master’s Degree in Linguistics.
- Coaching / Training at Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health (1975-1980) and continued coaching education since.
- Speaks several foreign languages fluently and understands the cultural influences with native speakers.
- Worked in several large international corporations:
- Sony Corp USA
- Nissho Iwai, Japan
- Metallgesellschaft, New York
- Bankers Trust (Wall Street)
- Project with RENFE (Spanish National Railway)
- Cross Cultural Consultant
- To Peter Jennings and ABC News at the 1979 Tokyo Economic Summit
- Hanes Hosiery at the US Dept of Commerce “Boatique America”
- Ridge Tool and Meteor Sealing, Ohio
- Industry Week, Penton Publishing, Ohio
- Individuals from Alcoa, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Praxair, BASF, Arconic, Delfi, Maxion Wheels, Dana Corp, Dell, and more.
- Member and host family for Council of International Programs (CIP USA, Ohio). Regularly interacts socially with international professionals visiting Cleveland and sees cultural changes in young professionals with a global style.
- Taught Intercultural Communications at Baldwin Wallace College, Ohio for two years.
Awards & Special Recognitions
- Awarded the U.S. Speaker Grant by the State Dept. to present at the Bel-Biz Entrepreneurship Forum, the Belarus Coach University, Credit Union Association, and U.S. Embassy, in Minsk, Belarus on cross cultural communications and small business development.
- Commended by the Fulbright Commission for promoting educational exchanges between countries and cross cultural business endeavors
- Given the Paul Harris Fellow Award from Rotary International “in appreciation of tangible and significant assistance given for the furtherance of better understanding and friendly relations among peoples of the world.”
Major Publications on This Subject
- Doing Business With Ease Overseas: Building Cross-Cultural Relationships That Last Pub. Indie Books International, 2016
- Cross Cultural Connections for a Better World, The Belarusian Organizational Consulting Magazine December, 2012.
- Sex, Status, and Second Personal Pronouns, Pub. Sophia Linguistica, 1980.
- How to Teach English to the Japanese, Pub. Encyclopaedia Britannica 1978.
- Venture from the Heart: Cross Cultural Business Tips (Soon to be released).
- B.S. from Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- M.S. Jochi Daigaku Sophia University, Tokyo, Japan
Body-Mind & Holistic Health Expertise
The study of the mind and its effects on our daily lives and actions has given Ms. Russell special insight into the aspect of conflict resolution and stress management in cross-cultural communications and international business.
Harriet Russell was Program Director for eight years at the Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health in Lenox, MA, the largest residential wellness retreat and program center in the United States, with 15,000 guests annually. She trained thousands of people in methods for stress management, health and wellness using East-West approaches in Personal Development, Yoga, Shiatsu Massage, Homeopathy, Ayurveda, and Body-Mind Sciences.